When you make a powerful mountaineering activity, or when you do a trekking or Adventure trip, your sleeping bag essentially contributes to the enjoyment of the activity, regardless of this.
The quality of sleep when you are away from your home, you will condition your performance significantly and your powers during daylight hours, therefore from your mood to your success in an output can be affected by one or many bad nights.
CHARACTERISTICS OF SACKS
Thermal capacity, the weight, the dimensions of the bag inside the bag and its form, are decisive criteria that we must bear in mind when choosing a sleeping bag with opinion of AparentingBlog.
The thermal capacity, is determined primarily by the following characteristics:
The thickness of the insulating layer and its quality. The type of construction (, etc.) Technical details (collar, hood shape, insulation zipper, etc.) These three factors largely determine capabilities calorific a sack, those that allow accumulated hot air inside effectively.
The enemy of this accumulated heat, is not only cold, but also humidity. Even in a dry climate, humidity is produced during sleep, the amount varies from one person to another according to their physical Constitution, thus, the sensation of cold is linked among other factors apart from temperature, humidity.
The compressibility of the filling as well as the thickness of tissues, are decisive criteria for volume, for climbers that we traveled and constantly carry the SAC, the volume that has the folded bag is very important.
The smaller the bag folded more room will be in the backpack for transporting other things. The best value volumen-capacidad heat is one of the main objectives of any good manufacturer of bags.
The modern mountaineering equipment is characterized by its functionality, its strength and light weight. This is especially so for sleeping bags. Three hundred or four hundred grams more or less on the back, is not an issue unimportant during many days trekking or activities of much difficulty.
In the manufacture of a sack filling must have a specific weight very low interior and exterior fabrics must be chosen not only by the friction resistance established by the test, but also in terms of their weight per square metre. It is therefore make an ideal relationship between the thermal capacity, volume and weight from each material used. Therefore you will have to decide what is most important for ti, and rating at the time of choosing your sleeping bag factor you think determining.
Dimensions of a sleeping bag It is important to have some freedom in movements within the SAC, this not only increases comfort, but also isolation. Results of recent research, show that around 70% of the whole of the thermal capacity it is caused by the insulating layer and around 30% in the Interior of the bag, which contains our hot air.
It is important that the bag is not very wide or very narrow, but will lose a large part of their properties.
Minimum temperatures that is able to isolate a sack, depend largely on of the metabolism of each person and their resistance in general cold. Therefore, figures for temperatures of use that appear in this catalogue but they are the ones that every manufacturer has provided are indicative dog in any case may represent a guarantee or an absolute limit.
As a result, it is essential that each look for a bag that suits you according to your sensitivity and the temperature conditions of use that provides for. There are not only important sensitivity at the level of temperature differences between different people, but that one person can react very differently during use of the bag to another later or earlier.
What does depend on this?
- Your own sensitivity to the cold.
- Your habit to sleep in a sleeping bag.
- Your general physical condition.
- The day you wear, fatigue, feeding, etc.
- You better resist the cold if they dry and clean when you lie down if you get tired and without possibility of wash.
- The outdoor temperature, of course, but also the humidity.
- Well insulated floor you are, a good insulator is fundamental.
- Underwear, socks, hat you wear, these increase the comfort and in consequence the quality of sleep.
- Protected you’re wind, even a slight breeze makes SAC to lose much of their innovation nes.
Comparing temperatures given by different brands of bags is always a sensitive issue.
There is no regulation or a scale to level international or used widely. Each brand makes its own assessment of the temperatures of their bags and exposes their own conclusions.
A FEW NOTES ABOUT THE TEMPERATURES
How to find the ideal sleeping bag in what refers to temperatures?
There is a sleeping bag can be used in all circumstances and for all temperatures. It is very important to know the conditions of use, as well as the climatic conditions in which we anticipate that we are going to use it.
There is a sleeping bag for the whole year, a warm enough for winter, it is over for the summer, as well as unnecessarily heavy.
For summer use choose bags whose comfort temperature reaches 0 ° C. Even in summer you can make cold and moisture. Therefore we must take into account a certain margin at temperatures when choosing the sack. Summer sleeping bags don’t need to be sophisticated in terms of construction, that Yes, a side zipper that allows us to fully open the sack and even use it as quilt is indispensable. Today, ultra-light models are, without a doubt, best in this group, extraordinarily compact, feather and with truly adequate benefits to be used for travel, shelters, not very cold weather etc…
For intermediate mountain use, choose bags whose comfort temperature reaches up to – 10 ° C. They must have a good construction, thermal collar, bands of protection in zippers, etc.. For winter mountain conditions choose bags whose comfort temperature reaches – 20 ° C.
They must have a building well designed and well conducted, filling materials, fabrics and other technical solutions must be beyond reproach. You do not play it, choose absolutely brands bags, at – 15 ° C cold anywhere in the construction becomes very apparent. For really extreme conditions choose bags which use temperature, at least – 40 ° C. Few times you will use a bag at such low temperatures and few brands can build one effective for these conditions. Meditate your purchase and prepares a good amount of money, at Barrabes we will help you to choose the right bag depending on the area to which you point, humidity and other conditions, call us.
Feather or synthetic fiber?
For dry cold and extremely low temperatures, the pen is a natural product of unquestionable performance. Its advantages are its weight and a small transport volume. The most important disadvantage of the pen is the loss of their ability to isothermal under conditions of high humidity, as well as the high time required for drying.
In wet conditions or wet and cold, synthetic fibers are much more advantageous than the feather qualities. The minimum moisture absorption, isothermal insulation relatively high in wet conditions, and the fact can be dried in a short time are the most important advantages of synthetic fibers.
With respect to a pen filled with sleeping bag, synthetic fibers are heavier and perspiration volume is more important.
- OPERATION OF A SAC
In a sleeping bag heat loss, can occur in four different ways: evaporation, radiation, conduction and convection.
The moisture on the surface of the skin or in the sleeping bag, evaporates and produces a sensation of cold. Lingerie super breathable coolmax type allows you to greatly alleviate this phenomenon. Underwear used must absorb the least amount possible moisture and evacuation abroad the more possible.
For this reason, many sleeping bags, the lining is nylon without inducing, this transpires very well and allows the passage of water vapor without absorbing any moisture.
By the natural fact of being alive, the human body radiates constantly heat to the outside, much more the more cold is the atmosphere that surrounds the body.
The best way to reduce this waste heat, is to isolate the body from the outside with a layer of still air. This is the result obtained with a filler capable of carrying out a “inflated” maximum.
The radiation of heat is effectively forwarded by thin reflective sheets that incorporate many sacks. The laboratory test, have proved that this type of blades (similar in part to the foil of the sandwiches) can increase more than 10% the calorific value of a bag without hardly changing its weight nor its breathability.
It is the passage of heat between two objects that are played. The hottest object transmits heat to the cooler.
We heat with the heat of our body everything we touch with the skin. It is necessary therefore to always use a good mattress or insulating mat ideals are the self-inflating mats and the fixed panels manufactured in Evamat, type Z-Rest or Ridge-Rest Cascade Designs. Beware the classic mat of 1,000 pts. It is well below benefits offering equal or lighter current mats.
The air heated by the body tends to escape, a new cold air takes its place and cools the body.
Heat loss, depends on temperature and the speed with which the new air arrives.
A snug collar, prevents convection. On windy days, produced a significant convection and is recommended to use a bivy cover to block its action. When it is very hot, the convection allows to obtain a pleasant freshness. In these cases, quite normal, construction details of the bag as a good side zipper, are fundamental and greatly increases the versatility of the same.
Isn’t the SAC who warms you, you who warms up the sack with your body temperature. The function of a sack is only slow down the loss of heat from the body.
SOME NOTES ON FORMS OF SACKS
- The form of a bag, is also quite important when it comes to distinguish them and although there are many different profiles could reassemble them into two large groups or families:
- Rectangular profiles
They are very spacious and very comfortable if we use them to sleep in very warm areas, we can open them completely and use it as a blanket. They are used primarily for camping in summer, sleeping in the car, lacaravana… etc. They are not suitable for use mountaineering itself, although they can be useful in specific cases.
- Mummy type profiles
In what refers to the isolation and other properties, this is the most effective way. The sack with this form can be made lighter with a lower volume.
From the knees down, it should be narrower, to have less volume of air to heat and the area should not be too fair to feet not too compressed insulating layers and lose heat. A trapezoidal shape of that part is ideal.
A form optimum Mummy type, you must have more or less the same width from shoulder to hip and only from this, and to the feet, should be tapering gradually. A form v that was regularly tapering over the entire length of the body, is less suitable.
OTHER DETAILS OF CONSTRUCTION IN A SACK
- Insulating collar.
Sleeping bags designed for temperatures below – 5 ° C, an insulating collar is essential to prevent heat loss by convection, mostly from the back. It is important that it be closed by means of a string or some similar means.
They must be of high quality to support well tensions, dirt, wear and cold. It is important that they can open in both directions (for above and below) to be able to aerate feet when it is too hot at night.
Typically one brand bags used similar zippers, and it is possible to connect them between them.
It should use caution if you buy two bags providing that they can unite, having each one zipper on different side, one on the left and one on the right.
- Insulating thermal zipper band.
Zippers should not constitute a weak point in terms of the isolation of a bag, why should covered with more or less performance protective bands based on the claims of each bag.
Summer bags or simpler, a simple band non-isolated is usually sufficient in temperatures above + 5 ° C from here down the insulating bands van sophisticating to achieve a homogeneous insulation in all SAC.
- Hoods in sacks.
Hood, is essential for the functionality of a sack of sleep, summer bags, they may have a very open and very wide hood. But for bags that also have to protect head when sleeping below 0 ° C, is convenient to choose a form of completely preformed hood.
SOME ADVICE ABOUT THE SACKS
- Always use a good insulating mat under your jacket, will protect you from the cold, moisture and dirt from the floor.
- Bivouac bag also improves the performance of your sleeping bag and protects it from the scratches and dirt.
- A sheet sack will increase the thermal comfort of your jacket and your well-being within it. Sack Savannah adapts to the shape of the body and constitutes an additional insulating layer to reduce the convection effect, also the SAC not must be washed as frequently.
- It is necessary to aerate the sack after each night of use before putting it in his pocket, the ideal would be to let it dry for a while in the Sun.
- When you enter your sleeping bag in the case, don’t you roll it, always insert it in a different way, inlaying it, this slightly wears its exterior but is better for filling and in the mountains, this procedure is more practical.
- If you do not have store for sleep, you must find a place sheltered from the wind and use a bivy cover. A hole in the snow also offers protection.
- A good insulating mat is essential. The loss of heat by conduction that occurs at the bottom of the sack is huge.
- Before getting in the sack, remember that:
- This should be always dry, avoid touching wet objects or get wet in the same. Get in the sack when you still keep heat (not when you’re already dead from cold). It takes if possible a hot dinner. Drink enough, dehydration greatly increases the feeling of cold.
- Sleeping bag is a part of the very personal equipment, should not be ever.
- It is not good for filling, keep sleeping bag long compressed inside the carrying case (usually of small size). When you’re at home keep the bag kept in a large protective cover and leave it on top of a cupboard or similar somewhere where you can be it more extended possible without disturbing, this will allow your jacket all its properties of inflation for a long time.
- If possible, use an inside cover (sack Savannah) when you are using your sleeping bag, this protects the bag and avoids having to wash it so often.
- In any case you use washing dry. Ideally, is washing machine at 30 ° C with a delicate fabrics program, only use detergents for delicate fabrics or better still detergents specific for pen, gore or your type of bag concrete in Barrabés them have all. Put small amount of SOAP, less than the instructions is more than enough.
- Quickly rinse and let air dry (unless give you the Sun).
- Tumble-drying is not highly recommended, although there are some industrial dryers that are suitable.
SOME TYPES OF FIBERS AND FILLERS
- F.P. Fill Power: The quality of the feather is measured by its ability to fill (Fill Power), that is, the ability to occupy space on the basis of its own weight. This measure relates to the cubic inches (1 cubic inch = 16.38 cm cub.) occupied by an ounce (28.35 gr.) of pen-controlled temperature and humidity.
- Gore DryLoft: Is a waterproof, windproof and breathable. Usually combined with a membrane of Ripstop Nylon that gives it a high resistance.
- S5000 Microfibre of The North Face: has a combination of resistance to water, wind and degradation by UV protecting the outside pen. It is highly breathable, thus preventing there is condensation over the filling.
- Sylki Taffeta (silky Taffeta): it’s a soft and light, interior fabric firmly attached to a waterproof pen nylon membrane.
- Polarguard – Polarguard HV: is a tissue that consists of the union of short polyester fibre bonded with resins or embedded. It spins continuously, this eliminates cold spots in the own filling of the bag. Polarguard HV (High Void), is inside of the same fiber of Polarguard emptied, eliminating weight although not its heat capacity.
- Super Microfiber from The North Face: is a Microfiber polyester developed specifically to provide waterproofness, breathability and resistance to degradation by UV rays to fillings of the sacks.
- Nylon Taffeta: Fabric very lightweight breathable and very durable. Used both inside and outside of bags of air free.
- Thermastat: Fabric resulting braiding of hollow fibres of polyester conferring a high capacity for adjustment of temperature to the microclimate created in the inside of the bag, letting the steam out of water and by retaining the internal heat.
- MicraLoft Trail: is a combination of hollow fibres of polyester silicone with something finer than the normal decitex fibers. With this combination you can form multilayer woven favoring the heat capacity of the SAC, maintaining the lightness of this.
- Trail UltraLoft: this is a combination of the best fibers of polyester braided polyester ultra-fine fibers (several openings) multichannel. This combination is a fiber-reinforced that provides an excellent filling (loft) of filling fiber and an optimal volume capacity.
- Trail TerraLoft: combination of hollow fibres of polyester polished with braided fibers. It provides good loft.
- EuroLoft Trail: is a good hollow polyester fiber polishing, which gives good loft to the sacks of low range.
- Ripstop Nylon: It’s the nylon of quality on the market today. It consists of a high resistance fabric because their outer membrane has been finished in a grid. This prevents tissue breaks to enlarge.
- 3 m Thinsulate LiteLoft: combination of polyester and polypropylene at 75/25 ratio. It is a light and fiber with high filling capacity (lofting) which, in addition, has one life greater than natural fibers like pen.
- Gossamer Ultralight: 40 g/m2, 30 denier ultra-light nylon fabric. Density that has been woven sack filling gives a higher filling capacity without increasing the weight of the same.
- Primaloft: It’s a synthetic Microfiber thermal and physical properties similar to the pen. Equal weight and density, the Primaloft is as hot as the pen and hotter than other synthetic fibers.
- Pertex: It’s one of the breathable fabrics of higher quality and more resistance from the market. All Pertex tissues are made from a fiber of some 3500 strands per cm, these filaments are very resistant and light, and do not retain liquid water that has a high breathability. The presentation of the various tissues, Pertex is leads, usually, out using a scale of 2 to 6, being the most common presentations the 2, 3, 4 and 6, strength ascending and descending lightness. The Pertex 3 can be considered the original from which derive some lighter and others more resistant. As maximum of resistance occurs 4 x 4 Pertex Ripstop formed by a membrane of Pertex 4 together with another Nylon Ripstop