At this time in which our body asks us to run faster than ever and the temperatures are very high, we cannot forget something very important in our practice: hydration.
To do this, the market offers us many solutions with which to load us liquid, well be bottles of hand, seat belts, etc. But if there has been an element which in recent years has marked trend in this regard, without a doubt we are talking about hydration backpack .
But, do we know in what aspects must look when choosing our backpack so perfectly met our expectations? Today at #zonarunning we are presenting 6 key concepts to make you much easier. Do we start?
You must have the amount of fluids you need to take into account in your sport
1 capacity tank: if there is something that you have that take into account in your sports practice is what amount of liquid need to lead to proper hydration. A way to gauge if we hydrate us enough is to control our weight before and after exercise, and that this is virtually the same.
The level of dehydration will determine:
- The ambient temperature (at higher temperature more evacuation).
- The elevation at sea level (to highest elevation more fluid loss).
- Body weight (to greater weight, greater transpiration).
- The intensity of the exercise (in greater intensity greater need for fluids).
Taking into account these needs are going to be able to choose between 1, 2 or 3 litre without overloading us in weight to carry more water than necessary:
- 1 litre: ideal for children and runners who make short distances or careers with refreshment regular.
- 2-liter: is the most popular size. It offers a good tradeoff between liters of water and backpack size.
- 3 litres: ideal for runners that tend to make long distances or runs with few supplies.
- load capacity: this feature will determine the amount of accessories extras you can take additional. You have to take into account the amount of things that you will wear in the normal manner and how much volume is set. A small backpack you be limited space, while with a large backpack you’ll be able to reload with the amount of things you need, with the refusal of that if it is excessively large, everything you take additional can “dance”. For these cases it is a backpack that has a system of accordion to vary its volume, as the Kalenji 9/14 carrying our colleague Vicente Roig in his post “Trail: how to prepare your backpack?”
- adaptability and comfort: the main advantage of backpacks in relation to adaptability is to distribute the weight symmetrically to the body, neutralizing the most point of gravity. According to terrain that is the playing field, the backpack will require you to have more or less adaptability to body to carry it comfortably and subject. A backpack must be completely beat but without bothering with a system that has a good grip on the side of the chest and sternum. As a general rule, the clamping area must not exceed 20 cm to prevent unnecessary scratches.
- Organization , Bay: a backpack has two types of compartments which will help to organize:
– External compartments: are those that are going to give you a direct access without having to stop or reduce the pace. Normal often have compartments on the sides where it is very comfortable to carry gels or other type of nutritional supplements, as they could be the energy bars. Large size normally bags also have two additional cages that you can give an extra fluid in very long runs.
– Internal compartments: its function is to carry the backpack organized to quickly find what you need your riding without wasting time. At the same time you are going to ensure that these do not move during the race and that can be annoying. Choose your backpack in relation to the number of things that you take regularly, but especially not stores to stay short.
- breathability: the backpack must be very breathable in the areas that are in contact with our body, i.e. the support and handles. This will avoid accumulating moisture in these areas and avoid possible scratches as well.
- sealing: if you live in an area where the rains are frequent, you may have to look for a backpack that is waterproof to protect your accessories. One thing you must keep in mind is that the impermeability tends to lower the index of breathability. Therefore, my advice is to use this type of backpack if you clear that most of the outlets are in rain.
Choose well your backpack will depend on how clear you have the use you want to give. Think, value, choose… and share with us your experience!